Ralph Schugar Funeral Chapel
5509 Centre Avenue
Ralph Schugar Funeral Chapel, Pittsburgh
Founded in 1919 by Ralph Schugar in Pittsburgh's Hill District, then the heart of Western Pennsylvania Jewry, Ralph Schugar Funeral Chapel followed the waves of Jewish emigration east, re-locating in Shadyside, in its own dignified Tudor-style building, in 1937. Marked from the beginning by extraordinary compassion and full service, and a deep understanding of the needs of grieving families, Ralph Schugar Funeral Chapel has been operated since the 1970s by three generations of the Ryave family. Beginning with Jacob E. Ryave, who served as funeral director until his death in 1978, and his son, Arnold Ryave, who served in the same capacity until his death in 1985, Ralph Schugar Funeral Chapel has maintained the highest standards of care and commitment to the Jewish community.